Thursday, October 23, 2008

Golly, there's a lot of good stuff in here...

I spent the day marveling at my accumulated treasures.  I sifted and sorted through armloads of goodies, most of which had succumbed to that most unfortunate of truisms: out of sight, out of mind.  For the past 15 months, I've done very little crafting, and a terrifying lot of "Just put it in the art room.  I'll get it later."  Now that the baby is 6 months old, and we've been back from camp for three months, the high holidays are gone, and I'm starting to do some birthday and Chanukah crafting, well, I needed to find my stuff.  First I cleared out an awful lot of fabric, which I was able to sort and set up in my new studio. (I know,  it's just our bedroom, but I'm pretending I have a studio, okay?)  Once I could see parts of the floor, it was time to get cracking.  Everything got dumped on the dining room table. And the dining room floor. (And, yeah, I made six more trips to the bedroom with baskets of stray fabric.  )  I gave away three big bags of stuff to freecycle friends.  I pigeonholed, combined, and grouped stacks of ephemera, piles of books, and a surprising number of enamel paints. (marbling, 4 years ago.)  I spent a few minutes admiring the fact that I have 17 balls of bright orange DMC cotton crochet yarn. (I thought I'd get a great deal if I bought it all at the thrift shop.  I did, but I've used exactly one ball in 3 years, so I'm a little concerned about the strength of my investment.)  I managed to put all of the half marbles in one container.  ( I find them everywhere.  It defies logic, and puts fear in my heart, as Shani is hitting the hand-to-mouth stage, which should last for the next 18 months or so...) Dominoes in one bowl, vintage thread in another. (I know it's got a shelf life, but I can never resist--so pretty!) Filled a fish bowl with Scrabble tiles, and another with random game pieces.  Bottlecaps in a canister, jar lids in a bin.  Tulle for the tutus (Chanukah for one, birthday for the other!) relegated to the sewing studio, waiting for me to get my act together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment...it makes me feel a little less like I'm talking to myself again.