Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Soup Weather

[gallery size="medium" columns="2"]

I'll admit it, I could eat soup in any weather...but today is gray and rainy and cold, and there's simply no other choice but to make soup. This is my go-to recipe...thick and satisfying, and full of good stuff. The recipe is based on one in Norene Gilletz's book, Meal-Lean-I-Yumm, but I dumbed it down because I'm too lazy to do it right. Never had a complaint, though, and get asked for the recipe all the time. It's quick, resoundingly healthy, and out-and-out delicious.

Couscous Soup:

Fill a dutch oven or large stockpot with water.

Add :
  • 1 bag red (or brown) lentils
  • 1 T. onion powder
  • 1/2 t. garlic powder
  • 1/2 t. thyme
  • 1 T. basil
  • 4 large carrots
  • 1 stalk celery
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 zucchini, peeled and chunked
Bring all ingredients to a simmer until veggies and lentils are tender. Puree with immersion blender or processor. Then add
  • 1/2 cup couscous (we use whole wheat)
Adjust seasonings, and enjoy, preferably with fresh bread!

Stay warm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment...it makes me feel a little less like I'm talking to myself again.