Sunday, December 20, 2009

Personal chef?

After I had my third child, I lost a tremendous amount of weight on Dr. Dean Ornish's program--a vegetarian, very low fat regimen that was both effective and user-friendly. Three kids later, about half of the weight has crept back on, and it's time for me to do something about it. I've been asked to create weekly menus and do the cooking for another couple in our community, and will be using the opportunity to get myself and my husband back on track, as well. So...I'm menu-planning properly for the first time in years, and with more of an audience than my own family, I have to consider things like presentation, and avoiding repetitive ingredients (I could happily subsist on lentils, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes...) while maintaining a balanced, low fat menu. To add to the challenge, one of our participants has diabetes, and another has IBS. I made a quick trip to the library today in search of cookbooks to sift through, and came back with a few of my old favorites, in addition to some newer titles. I also spent some time on the fat free veggie archives and am nearly done with this week's menus. If anybody's interested, I'll post the finished menu plan when I'm through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment...it makes me feel a little less like I'm talking to myself again.