Friday, December 18, 2009

Bangarangs!



Everybody has a go-to recipe, something to make for that "I'll-bring-dessert" occasion that pops and finds you lacking the time, energy, or inclination to experiment. When I need to look like I hang with Martha, I make meringues. If my rugrats are clamoring for 'bangarangs,' they get the simplest version: plain-old vanilla meringues. For a vort or a shalom zochar, expect them to be flavored with mint or raspberry and bedecked with nonpareils or melted chocolate. The beauty of the meringue is this: It's a no-brainer. As long as you have a decent mixer, a bag of sugar, and some eggs, you're golden. Here's my ridiculously easy recipe for Bangarangs:

8 eggwhites
1.5 cups granulated sugar
1t. flavored extract (vanilla, mint, raspberry, orange...)
nonpariels, colored sugar, etc. to decorate

Preheat oven to 250. Your eggs should be at room temperature and your mixer bowl should be chilled when you begin. First, use the wire whip attachment at full speed to whip your eggwhites till they form soft peaks. Add the sugar VERY slowly while continuing to beat the mixture. When all of the sugar has been added, the mixture should be glossy, and hard peaks will form when you remove the beater. Don't do that just yet, though. Add the extract and beat for a half a minute, still at full speed. Now, drop by dollops (or go all fancy like I do and make pretty swirls with a pastry bag or decorator) on a parchment lined cookie sheet. If you're adding sprinkles or the like, do it now.Bake for 90 minutes in a 250 degree oven. Let cool in the oven, then drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired, and transfer to an airtight container or a Ziploc bag.

What's your go-to recipe?

1 comment:

  1. I just made these once again. I think it's rapidly becoming my "go to" recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment...it makes me feel a little less like I'm talking to myself again.