Friday, February 19, 2010

A slippery slope

Purim is a funny time on my personal Jewish calendar.  It's my favorite holiday, hands down, but with it comes a sense of foreboding---Pesach is right around the corner, and then, for all intents and purposes, it's time for camp.  And as soon as we get home from camp this year, G-d willing, we're making a Bar Mitzvah for my oldest son.  So, my friends...let the games begin!

To start off the "Purim season," such as it is, I baked my first batch of hamantashen last night.  (I also determined that if you use a piece of parchment paper that's much bigger than your cookie sheet, IT WILL CATCH ON FIRE.  Just in case you were wondering.)  I baked my second batch today.  And then my oven blew up.  Ok, I think the element died.  But there was a loud popping noise and a flash of greenish light, and for a minute I thought the cookies and I were done for.  Happily, we're all in one piece, but Batch Number Three is going to have to wait. 

2 comments:

  1. Didn't you have similar oven problems when you baked your first batch in the 10th Ave house?

    Anyway, Shabbat Shalom to you all...take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intents and purposes? Don't you mean *intensive purposes*??

    omg, Wendy. Seriously?? I bet that green light was cool though. And now, you need that replicator!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment...it makes me feel a little less like I'm talking to myself again.