Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A forkful of humble pie

I fully intended to build Ye Olde Chicken Coope out of reclaimed materials.  I planned to do it myself, without any help from the Hubs or our pal Dan, The Handiest Man On Earth.  I was sure I'd spend less on the whole shebang than I would on a single carton of free-range eggs.  I envisioned a whimsical-yet-sturdy home for my little chooks that would  make Rosie the Riveter proud.

I scoured Craigslist, Freecycle, and the occasional Dumpster for free materials.  I visited the local Habitat for Humanity store---and emerged with just enough hardware cloth to cover our existing brooder.  (I did, however, score a trio of vintage windows from our wonderful neighbor---Thanks, EJ!---but have come to terms with the fact that, um, I have nary a clue how to install them.)  

Gentle Reader, mea culpa.  Under cover of darkness, I liberated Jess' pickup and hightailed it to Lowe's.  Well and truly chastened, I blew a chunk of change sufficient to keep my entire neighborhood in organic eggs for the foreseeable future.   Reckless and utterly without shame, I even had the guy in Lumber cut the wood to size; for a quarter a cut, I bought my way out of the inevitable Equation of Carpentry Mortification.

Wendy + reciprocating saw = just plain crooked.

No two ways about it, people.  Worth every penny.

3 comments:

  1. There is no shame in letting the pros step in. (I say that as someone who spent the better part of an 8-hour day trying to cut corners on multiple lengths of crown moulding, unsuccessfully I might add, before letting a carpenter come in and finish the job)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what it looks like... there is a reason why most of them are made with wood and saw.. they stand :... so don't blame yourself you would have be have a architectral degree to make sure it worked.

    http://polwig.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy + reciprocating saw= Emergency Room!!

    Glad you went the smart way, dear sister!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment...it makes me feel a little less like I'm talking to myself again.