Friday, October 15, 2010

Maternity suit?

They've been drilling it into our heads for years: Necessity is the Mother of invention.  Ladies and jellybeans, I respectfully disagree.  The mother of invention, without any question, is Laziness.  Take today's lunch, for example.  I woke up yesterday with a yen for falafel.  (Not unusual.  I'm a bit of a chickpea fiend.) Being the domestic goddess that you know I am, I soaked a bag of chickpeas.  I boiled them up, seasoned the cooked beans with a generous hand, and stuck my immersion blender right into the pot and pulverized every last one.  Since I was having a Domestic Goddess-y kind of day to begin with, I was also making calzones for the kidlets' lunch.  Which meant I had a bowl of homemade pizza dough at the ready. (Can you see where I'm going with this one?)  Fusion cooking at its humblest: the Falafel Calzone.  It was heavenly, I tell you, and it neatly bypassed the dreaded Shape-and-Fry step of falafel production.  It also left me with a half a pot of unused falafel batter, which I stuck in the fridge and vowed to rescue in the morning, when I'd no doubt be feeling more amenable to the Shape-and-Fry.  Alas, this morning dawned clear, crisp, and appointment-laden.  Having weathered the tempest of the dentist's chair with five of my brood, I opened the refrigerator door upon our return searching for something quick, tasty, and easily chewed.  And that's where Chickpea Pot Pie was born---not of necessity, but of something purer, deeper: a mother's laziness.  Chickpea mixture on the bottom, mashed potatoes on the top.  Hot, crazy-delicious, and nutritious to boot, and no shaping and frying in sight.
 

4 comments:

  1. Nom, nom, nom. It all sounds de-lic-ious.

    (In this house we don't call it laziness, its efficiency. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, Dear, sister, you worry me. But I love you still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much more exciting than my sausage medly, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bone-idleness is so underrated! You prove how beneficial such a state can be!

    And haven't you got six children? All things considered, I think just getting out of bed in the morning counts for boundless energy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment...it makes me feel a little less like I'm talking to myself again.