Saturday, December 18, 2010

Brr.

I'm a Miami girl at heart.  I spent 23 years alternately complaining about and basking in the Florida sunshine, and then we moved to Rochester, New York.  Where they have "9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding."  Where I learned the value of long johns, mastered the fine art of window de-icing, and---I thought---thickened up that wimpy South-of-the Border blood of mine.  By the time we hit Des Moines three years later, the winter coat didn't come out till the mercury dipped into the 40's, and I would occasionally emerge from the cozy confines of my heated home onto the front porch with only one extra layer of clothing on.  Tough as nails, I tell you.

And then, boys and girls, we moved to Milwaukee.  I haven't been warm since.  I slumber---frigid, thickly-socked feet and all--- under a trio of hefty comforters.  I dash in from carpool and refuse to doff my coat---or the two sweatshirts layered under it---for hours.  I mainline soup for breakfast, and wash it down with hot chocolate.  I dread venturing into the basement or the attic, where the temperatures are a good 20 degrees cooler than our living space.  Arriving home from lunch today, I was confronted with a troubling dilemma:  how in blazes was I to open the front door with fingers that were equal parts frozen and gloved?

7 comments:

  1. you can come back to miami :)
    btw i have a box to send you (can you handle another one??) i need your address

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, we've lived in tropical Summers in the top of Australia (the Wet Season) to snowy Winters in the nation's capital in the south, it's crazy!! I seem to mix it all up with the thought of 'it's not our home, it's not forever' but now we want to buy & build, near the Wintery snowy part, i'm going to have to love a winter overcoat & then splash out on a good bikini for the smack-in-your-face-dry-hot Summers!! Ahhh, i didn't mind the humidity, really i didn't. All i know is the children don't feel a thing, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother has just moved back to Arkansas from 2 years in Minnesota...holy cow it's insanely cold up there!!
    xxxCate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there girl and saddle up for hot chocolate because its only going to get colder!
    The first day you can leave the house without a coat is easily *THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR* ...it'll happen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You poor freezing thing. I think we are the same boat at the moment, I'm currently in the freezing cold in the UK, and since I'm an Aussie, I'm not used to the cold that comes with snow. Currently sporting 6 layers on my top half. Hope you find a way to warm those bonesxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're starting to master the fine art of complaining about the weather... It's a science around here... ALL YEAR ROUND!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your poor body!! Just don't think of me sitting here typing this on my iPhone out on the back verandah steps in shorts and a t-shirt :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment...it makes me feel a little less like I'm talking to myself again.