Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Enjoying the fruits of my labors...

We are well and truly snowed in. After a fortifying lunch of potato soup (recipe below), I broke out The Big Blue Suitcase of Craft, dumped it on the dining room table, and set the kids to work. We cranked up our favorite classical music, and now they're each elbow deep in their own projects. I'm listening to the quiet. Someone's using my pinking shears to cut cardstock. Somebody else is gluing a milk top to a pasta box window to a cigar box. A little further down the table is The Lone Braider. And one of my big kids is working on a perfectly stunning gift which cannot be disclosed. If I wasn't so busy documenting the antics of my brood, I'd be working on the make-your-own puppet kits that two of them will be getting for Chanukah. Or the humbug bean bag set for Shani. Or making supper. But actually, I'm having too much fun watching them to do much of anything else right now. And I'm good with that.

Creamy Potato Soup:

5 pounds of potatoes (we like russets or Yukon Golds)
1T. olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1/2 cup of dry milk
pepper, salt, dried dill to taste
water to cover


Fill a large pot with water, then add your peeled potatoes and cook until tender. Meanwhile, sautee your onions in a frying pan with the olive oil. When they're nicely browned, add them to the potatoes. Let everything simmer till you're ready to start eating directly from the pot. Use your handy dandy immersion blender to achieve the consistency you prefer (we like ours a little chunky) and blend in the dried milk. Season and let flavors blend, if you can wait that long. Serve with crusty, fresh wholegrain bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment...it makes me feel a little less like I'm talking to myself again.