You'd think by now, a few months shy of The Big 4-0, I'd be a little wiser. A little more self-aware. Mature enough to say, "Hey, I can't do that!" But not so much, really. I did it again, folks.
When Screamstress posted her seriously cute Kids' Apron Pinafore Tutorial, I was intrigued. And when I recalled that Chevi needed a smock for Kindergarten anyway, I figured I'd give it a whirl. My first clue should have been the line that says, "I drafted the pattern myself, getting a rough size by using a singlet of the kids." First of all, I don't use patterns, let alone draft them. And frankly, we're singlet-less. But I figured I could fudge it with one of Shani's jumpers ---that's an American "jumper," not a sweater---which was probably the first of a veritable plethora of mistakes.
Grabbing a yellow-flowered sheet from the diminishing stash of not-yet-packed fabric, I proceeded to "draft" my pattern---and cut out the pattern pieces for a smock that would have fitted Cerberus like a glove. I couldn't quite seem to sort out the number of neck holes and armholes I needed to cut, which disturbs me deeply on many levels. Chucking the mangled sheet into a handy cardboard box, I spent a sulky half hour playing Pathwords and cursing my ineptitude. Then, in a burst of optimism, I returned to the stash and started from square one.
My second effort was somewhat less pathetic than the first, bearing a vague resemblance to the actual garment I'd intended to sew. (I even managed to put together a pocket after this photo was taken!) The sizing was a little off---the finished product fits my 11 year old quite nicely---but I figure that its purpose is to protect Chevi's clothes from paint, and I'm guessing that includes her knee socks, too.